Are you mostly sentient, full of opinions, and not a huge asshole? We want YOU! Take a look at these guidelines first, so we can keep things running smoothly.
If you want authorship privileges, message myopicprophet. Post whatever you want (using your mostly sentient brain to decide what’s appropriate in this crowd).
When logged in and on Deadsplinter.com, you’ll see this at the top:
Click “Post” and get started!
The formatting is pretty self explanatory. You can play around with it:
While you’re still working on it, you can save it as a draft. When you’re finished, you can publish it immediately or schedule it. If you have it saved as a draft, all the editors will be able to see it – they won’t necessarily read it, but if you want feedback, ask and someone will.
The most important rules:
We do this stuff to keep things running clean and consistent.
- Make sure all hyperlinks and pasted URLs open in a new tab.
- Check the category box for each category your post is to be filed under. If you choose a child category, ensure the parent category is unchecked. Ensure “uncategorized” is not checked as sometimes it is checked by default. The “Uncategorized” category was only there in case someone forgot to choose a category. It is now the @farscythe category because they “feel at home there.”
- Before making a new one, check if a tag already exists by viewing the alphabetical tag list in the “Sticky Notes.”
- With any image you upload, be sure to save it on your device as a logical filename, with all words separated by hyphens. That way, it can be searched later.
- Always set a featured image.
- Format dates as such [d/m/yr] for those who use accessibility features.
1. Make sure all hyperlinks and pasted URLs open in a new tab:
Some URLs might try to embed:
Just hit “Convert to link” and then follow the steps above:
2. Check the category box for each category your post is to be filed under. If you choose a child category, e sure the parent category is unchecked. Ensure “uncategorized” is not checked as sometimes it is checked by default.
3. Before making a new one, check if a tag already exists by viewing the alphabetical tag list in the “Sticky Notes.”
The already existing tags pop up as clickable options as you type them in:
4. With any image you upload, be sure to save it on your device as a logical filename, with all words separated by hyphens. That way, it can be searched later.
When adding images, you can either upload your own or search the library if you want to repeat a previously used image. Rename the image filename when you save it to your pc. If you want to upload a screenshot, browse to it on your device and rename the file with-hyphens-as-spaces:
5. Always set a featured image.
This will be the image that shows up in the feed and at the top of your post; it won’t show up while you’re editing, though.
Check the “title” field to ensure it matches your saved filename (if it doesn’t, change the title to match the saved filename) then hit “set featured image”:
Et, voila! You’ve made a 100% perfect Deadsplinter post.
We are thrilled that you want to be a contributing member of this community as we grow, and really appreciate you taking the time to learn these good posting habits!
Please try not to schedule or publish random or spur-of-the-moment posts at or around the same time as others. You’ll be able to see the scheduled posts in your dashboard. Also, please try to remember that we have regularly scheduled posts. They usually have a two hour gap for anyone to schedule or publish posts on the hour between them:
- 6am – DOT
- 8am (either Tuesday or Thursday) – Wednesday Steel
- 10am (Mondays) – Coffee Break
- 10am (Saturdays) – Brain Drain
- 12pm – FYCE (Travel & All Rise on weekends)
- 2pm (Wednesdays) Back to One
- 2pm (Thursdays) Dirty Business
- 4pm (Fridays) – Happy Hour
- 5pm – DUAN
- 7pm – NOT (Sometimes later than 7 as @brightersideoflife has several brighter sides to their life)
If you’d like to write any of the regularly scheduled posts (or create your own) let us know via private message. If you’re unsure when would be a good day/time to put up an unscheduled post, feel free to save it as a draft and PM a member of the editor’s group. They will make arrangements for it to get scheduled at an appropriate time. Other than that, post as your heart desires!
[Edited and updated 29/7/21 – myopicprophet]